Under the general supervision of the Lead Plumber, maintain the plumbing and gas infrastructure across all college facilities, including completion of deferred maintenance-capital improvement projects. General plumbing, service and maintenance as required by the College. Respond to emergency calls, weather related emergencies, and other situations as required to minimize service interruptions, damage to facilities or injury to members of our community. Provide services to enhance energy conservation and reduce utility expense.
l. Responsible for all Plumbing operations on campus. Install, maintain and diagnose all related equipment. Research and recommend improvements and enhancements. Supervise outside vendors and contractors ensuring contract compliance.
2.Responsible for water distribution within campus including back flow preventers, building water, sanitary and acid wastes, pH neutralization systems, drains, vents, fixtures, dishwashers, garbage disposal, hot water tanks, hot water generators, valves, traps, and reducing valves.
4. Install, repair and maintain all plumbing and sanitary systems in buildings in accordance with the rules promulgated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Board of Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters.
5. Respond to all requests and complaints in a professional, courteous and timely manner.
6. Order materials and supplies; work from plans and schedule tests and inspections of work.
7. Inspect sprinkler piping and heads, reset automatic sprinkler valves and conduct hydro static tests of systems. Maintain compressors on dry systems.
8. Evaluate and make recommendations about improvements to services.
9. Complete administrative forms and reports as needed.
10. Compliance with all department and College policies and procedures.
11. Exercise sound judgment when using equipment and chemicals, and must follow and use approved safety standards and precautions.
12. Operate college vehicles in a safe and reasonable manner.
13. Perform related work as assigned.
1. Install, repair and maintain underground water mains, sanitary sewers, building under drains and sump pumps, drain lines, valves, grease traps and expansion joints, sewage ejectors, manholes and pits.
2. Maintain computer and written records, utilize work order systems, and perform minor calculations.
3. Maintain clean workplace.
4. Assist in Sewage Discharge system repairs, including connections to regional transfer station lines and infrastructure.
5. Team oriented, assist other trades and departments as needed.
6. Required to work overtime in emergency situations or when special events or projects are scheduled.
1. Thorough understanding of Plumbing, Gas fitting and sewage systems and equipment. Knowledge of campus-type systems preferable.
3. Ability to organize and prioritize workload with minimal supervision to meet required deadlines.
4. High degree of confidentiality and discretion.
5. Knowledge of safety and OSHA requirements.
6. Ability to communicate well, with strong writing and interpersonal skills.
7. Physically capable of lifting 50 – 80 lbs.
8. Ability to organize and prioritize workload with minimal supervision to meet required deadlines.
9. Ability to work independently, resolve problems, and function as part of a team.
10. Ability to work from ladders and staging without fear of height.
1. Current Commonwealth of Massachusetts Journeyman Plumbers License.
2. High School or trade school graduate or equivalent.
3. Must have minimum of 3 years’ experience on heavy construction or in commercial, institutional or industrial work as an apprentice or journeyman plumber or equivalent combination.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
Plumbers Apprenticeship candidates will be considered
Massachusetts Journeyman’s Plumbing license, active Master Plumbing licensed candidates will also be considered.
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within easy commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have nearly 1,700 undergraduates from 40 U.S. States and more than 70 countries. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability.